Thursday, July 1, 2010

Nori's B-day/Seattle Chocolate Tour

Last Friday was my mother's 50th birthday. It was also my brother-in-law's bday. I made the above cake for his party that we were unable to attend because we were celebrating with my mom. The cake is called "Pretty in Pink" from Marcel Desaulniers book Celebrate with Chocolate. It's a rich chocolate cake with a strawberry cream cheese frosting. Below is a picture of the granny smith apple pie I made my mother. She is about to blow out the candles and on the table are flowers from Pike Place Market thanks to Aunt Cyddie.Here we have a goofy Gunnar with the balloons.The next day we had a chocolate tour in Seattle. The party included Cousin Mary, Aunt Angie, My Mom, Me, Aunt Cyddie, and Cousin April.We started out at the Dahlia Bakery, famous for coconut cream pie by chef Tom Douglas. This bakery is also the bakery in Sleepless in Seattle. We had a sample of the coconut cream pie. As well as a chocolate krinkle cookie. (This is an example cookie, not the exact ones we had).
Then we went to the chocolate box and sampled their brownies. They were chocolate covered, very moist, and delicious. Here is a picture of our tour guide passing out the chocolate.

Then we sampled a cupcake from Look Cupcakes. Best cupcake I have ever had. It had ganache inside as well as chocolate Swiss buttercream icing.
Then we had Gelato from Gelatiamo, it was chocolate gelato and lemon sorbet gelato. The pair together was divine. Note I've eaten a bunch of the lemon already.
Here is a photo of the sisters in front of Sister Sandwich.Then it was on to Pike Place Market. We went to the Confectional for raspberry white chocolate cheesecake. The Confectionals slogan is "Forgive me Chocolate for I have sinned. I have not yet had my daily confection." I didn't have much of the cheesecake for fear of my dairy allergy, but what I had was good.They also serve a very rich dark chocolate drink with spices. It was so good. They say you have to serve it warm or it will solidify.
Kukuruza was our next stop and it was yummy gourmet popcorn. We had rocky road (below) and Tuxedo (further below).They also sell all different kinds of old fashion pop and candy. Like lipstick candy and candy buttons.Our last stop on the tour was Fran's Chocolates, yes now even more famous for Barak Obama's love of the salted milk chocolate carmel. Although I agree with Michelle Obama that the dark chocolate is better. Below is what we sampled, a raspberry truffle, a milk chocolate sea salt, and a dark chocolate square. I have loved Fran's for years, this stop was no surprise for me. We had a fabulous time and then ate lunch at Art at the Four Seasons Hotel, where I had the best crab cakes. The tour includes a bunch of chocolate history as well as a card to get us discounts at these and more places in Seattle for the next two weeks. If you get the chance take the tour! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM.

6 comments:

Shauna said...

Uh, wow! That is pretty much the definition of a perfect day!

Laura said...

I agree with Shauna. The next time I'm in Seattle, it'll be just for that! =)

kilaMOMjaro said...

It was truly a glorious birthday! Thank you everyone especially Bri. :)
<3

mandi said...

I see a little space between Ang and Nori where I'm supposed to go. :( So glad it was such a fun day!

Gramma Cyddie said...

Yes, we missed my precious!!!!

NW Varneys said...

Yum. I need chocolate. Now.